Study abroad with spouse and family in 2024 intake : Get complete details about countries providing spouse visas for international students

Study abroad with spouse and family

Opting to pursue study abroad mostly involves separating from one’s spouse, husband, and family, prompting many to postpone their dreams of studying in a foreign country. Fortunately, not all countries impose the same constraints. There are numerous study-abroad destinations that provide dependent student visas, enabling you to bring your spouse and family with you. With these dependent student visas, you can avoid the stress and emotional toll of being apart from your loved ones. The significant advantage is that they can accompany you, sharing in all the experiences and opportunities that your study abroad journey may present. This article will guide you through some popular countries that offer dependent student visas to international students and hence, enable study abroad with spouse and family.
  1. Germany

The German family visa, also known as “Visum zur Familienzusammenführung” or “Familiennachzug,” is a visa category permitting the family members of international students to join them in Germany while they pursue their studies. Essentially, as an international student holding a German student visa or student residence permit, you have the right to bring certain family members with you. The eligible family members who can accompany you during your studies in Germany include your spouse (wife or husband), your child, and your parent. It is important to note that the requirements for a family visa in Germany vary depending on which family member is joining you. In other words, the documentation package and prerequisites for your child to join you differ from those applicable when your spouse accompanies you on your German student visa. Since Germany is updating its immigration laws, it is easy to study abroad with spouse and family.
  1. Sweden

When relocating to Sweden with a student visa/permit, it is generally possible to bring your spouse and/or children along, provided you meet specific financial criteria. Enrolling in a bachelor’s, master’s, or PhD program in Sweden typically allows for the inclusion of your spouse and/or children. However, if you plan to bring a spouse, there are specific financial requirements that must be satisfied. Currently, you have the option to bring your spouse, cohabiting partner, registered partner, and unmarried children under the age of 18 to Sweden. It’s important to note that, in the case of a cohabiting partner, proof of cohabitation (living together) for at least the past 6 months is required. If your cohabitation period is less than 6 months and you are not married, the Migration Agency is unlikely to approve your Sweden dependent student visa application. Sweden is a country known for not only providing quality education, but also enabling study abroad with spouse and family.
  1. Denmark

The Danish government, along with immigration services, administers a green card visa system encompassing various departments to enable international students to study abroad with spouse and family. Individuals seeking to bring their family to Denmark are required to apply for a Green Card Dependent Visa. This visa permits Danish green card holders to bring their family members to reside in the country while they are working and living there. With the appropriate Denmark dependent visa, anyone can pursue studies in Denmark. Denmark offers several types of dependent visas, including the Denmark Student Dependent Visa. This particular visa is designed for the spouse, unmarried children under the age of 18, or parents of foreigners studying in the country with a Denmark student visa, allowing them to join their family in Denmark. Upon successful completion and approval of the application, dependents of a foreigner with a Denmark student visa are eligible to apply for residence permits in Denmark.
  1. Netherlands

The Netherlands is another country in the list that provides the opportunity to study abroad with spouse and family. If you possess a Dutch student visa, your spouse or registered partner, along with any children under 18, can accompany you if you have resided in the Netherlands on your residence permit for at least one year. For certain visas, such as postgraduate research or Ph.D. visas eligible for the EU Blue Card, these family members can join immediately. Generally, family members joining an individual on a Netherlands study visa are allowed to stay for the same duration as the family member they are accompanying. They will also have equivalent work entitlements, such as a maximum of 16 hours per week if accompanying someone on a standard Netherlands study visa.
  1. Australia

Students have the option to include family members in their Australia student visa application, provided the family members are either their partner, a dependent child under 18, or their partner’s dependent. After obtaining confirmation of enrollment from the chosen university or education provider for the relevant course, the visa application process can be initiated. An essential aspect of the application is the Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) criterion, which involves a written statement demonstrating that the applicant and their family do not intend to overstay their student visa in Australia. Additionally, meeting English language requirements and fulfilling financial prerequisites are crucial. Applicants must have sufficient funds genuinely available to cover course fees, travel, and living costs for both the student and accompanying family members during their stay in Australia. In short, Australia is premium study abroad destination that provides international students the opportunity to study abroad with spouse and family.
  1. New Zealand

The spouse and dependent children of an international student in New Zealand have the opportunity to apply for and receive a visa that aligns with the duration of their partner or parents’ student visa. The type of visa granted—whether it’s a visitor visa, student visa, or work visa—depends on the level of the tertiary course of study. For individuals pursuing a level 9 Masters or a level 10 PhD, their partners are eligible for an open work visa. Some level 7 or 8 programs may also grant work rights for partners. If an Open Work Visa is granted to the partner, they have the flexibility to work full time in New Zealand. You can also bring your children to New Zealand. For school-age children, attending Primary, Intermediate, or Secondary school as “Domestic Students” is possible, contingent upon the selected tertiary course and, in most cases, the eligibility of the partner’s work rights. Alternatively, they may need to pay international student fees. It is advisable to seek guidance to ensure the correct tertiary student course is selected and that the family is granted the appropriate visa options.

How can Matrixx Overseas help you? 

As the best study abroad consultants in Kochi, we are proud to serve young minds who chase their dreams. Get complete assistance in your study abroad journey and dependent visa application process from our expert study abroad councelors. If you have any queries regarding the article ” Study Abroad with spouse and family”, feel free to connect with us.  
faq bg

A Dependent Visa allows spouses, children, or other dependents to travel to a foreign country to accompany or join a family member who holds a corresponding Visa. The dependent or spouse visa enables the dependents of a legal migrant, such as a spouse, dependent children, or parents, to enter and reside in the country. Those dependents seeking to join the migrant must apply for a visa, and the applicant must demonstrate sufficient financial capability to support the dependents without relying on state or public funds. Additionally, dependents must provide evidence of their intention to live with the primary applicant during their stay and establish the genuineness of their relationship.

To apply for a Spouse Visa, various documents are necessary. Proof of the relationship, such as a marriage certificate for spouses or a birth certificate for children, is essential. The specific documents required may vary based on the spouse's nationality and the country of residence. Essential documents include a copy of the passport, birth certificate, evidence of the relationship, police reports, and other relevant paperwork.

Spouses/partners on Dependent Visas are allowed limited work rights based on their visa validity in most countries. However, the criteria and eligibility will differ depending on the country.

Worldwide, 35 countries welcome married couples and, in certain instances, unmarried partners, enabling them to pursue their abroad aspirations alongside their studies.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these <abbr title="HyperText Markup Language">HTML</abbr> tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>